Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Too, too pink, part two

Yesterday in my mailbox was a package from my three and a half year old niece, Abigail. My sister was showing her pictures of the quilts on my blog and Abby fell in love with the too, too pink one. So she called and asked her dear Aunt Yaya if I would make her one too. How can I resist her sweet little voice? So my sister took her to JoAnn's to pick out the fabric (knowing I am still on my no-buying resolution!). When they got to Joann's, Naomi put Abby in the seat of the shopping cart and started walking. Abby tells her "We've been here before!" My sister says yes. When they get to the quilting section and the aisle where the pinks and reds are, Naomi taps on Abby's shoulder and points for her to turn around and look. Abby turns around and gasps! All that pink and red fabric!!! She was in her own little nirvana! I may have found another quilting junkie in the making!!!! For some reason she thinks she has to narrow it down to just one fabric and is of course having a hard time choosing. She is so happy when Naomi tells her they can choose EIGHT different fabrics. I think she did a great job of picking out different values and lots of different prints. I was expecting a pile of all hot pink fabric!

When she got them home, she carried them around like a baby doll. (Obviously a girl after my own heart!) She asked her daddy if he wanted to see her fabrics so he sat there patiently while she carefully showed him each piece, making sure he noticed the finer points of each one. At the end of the process, she asked if he wanted to see them again!

When my sister took her to the post office to mail them to me, she asked Abby if she wanted to show them to Grams first. Abby said no. They got all the way to the post office and were getting out of the car before Abby changed her mind. I think my mom took her back the next day after "the viewing"!

I only hope I can live up to her expectations! I am thinking of doing it as a YBR, which will leave the fabric in good sized chunks for her to enjoy!

7 comments:

Laura said...

She did a great job picking fabrics out! YBR would be a good setting for her quilt. You are such a sweet Aunt to do this for her!

Cher said...

oh, what a sweet story! She is for sure a budding quilter-being able to chose 8 fabrics- I had to push my nephews to chose more than two when I made their quilts last fall. teen-agers...lol

Lucy said...

Ohh what nice.. I see already a little girl between all the pink fabric in Jo-anne's... I can't wait untill we see the finished quilt, maybe with the new owner??

antique quilter said...

that is such a cute story! a YBR is a good idea, she will get the quilt quickly too which in her mind is probably the best thing right!
can't wait to see her with her new quilt!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Great story - glad you're encouraging her in her love of fabric and quilting. I know some quilting stores have classes just for kids (when she's a bit older...)

Finn said...

Love the fabrics she picked Sarah, it's a "Powder Puff Pink and her Aunt YaYa" story....I love it!!

I think you'll do her proud..and that YBR is a great choice. Like you say, good size pieces to admire, and quickly done, and can be almost any size...all good!!

Darcie said...

Isn't it fun how some just have a total appreciate for the *fiber* (finer) things in life? What a great story about Abby's and your WIP! Keep us up-to-date!