Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Last minute finish!

The star quilt is finished and given to the expectant mama. The baby shower was on Saturday and she got tons of wonderful things. Including a wet quilt! I was so proud of myself for getting the top quilted over a week and a half before the shower. But when did I get around to putting the binding on it? In the two hours between Maddie's tea party and the baby shower! No problem - except that I decided to wash the quilt too. The white background fabric was being difficult and was showing the little holes where it had been quilted. I threw it in the washer on the express wash cycle - it should have taken about half an hour. Fifty minutes later it is still not done - I stood there watching it spin and spin and spin - and it wouldn't count down past 5 minutes left to go. I gave up and took it out of the washer anyway - and it was still soaking wet. Into the dryer it goes - with some already dry bath towels. 30 minutes later the quilt is still wet - and I am half an hour late for the shower. Out of the dryer comes the wet, label-less quilt and off we go. When I get to the shower everyone is still snacking so I sneak the quilt into the hostesses dryer. By the time everyone finished eating and the mama-to-be had opened most of the other gifts, the quilt had finally dried to a slightly damp condition! I had to bring the quilt back home to put the label on it but it was returned to the mommy the next morning at church. And isn't Shelby Mae just the most southern name you've ever heard?

I am almost done with my sewing room and closet reorganization extravaganza. We are hopefully having some company this weekend - so it needs to get done today - along with the rest of the house. But this "company" knows our normal low standards and is just happy for a bed to lay her weary head down on, so I am not too worried! She will leave her white gloves and magnifying glass at home.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! What an awesome pattern. I am glad you were able to get it done!

jacquie said...

done with minutes to spare!! looks wonderful. i'm sure it will get lots of use.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is a pretty quilt - it looks great, and she knows it is definitely clean!

Quiltgranny said...

Now that's what I call a last minute finish!

Helen said...

What a great friend, just the kind quilters need when expecting company. Sound like you shower quilt was not being cooperative for the last minute finish. Better late than never!