Saturday, July 21, 2012

July's finishes

July has sped by at lightening speed.  We have one more month of summer break left and we intend to make the most of it!  We have a couple of trips left and then 10 days at home to recover and get ready for the school year.  I have managed to get some sewing done in the few quiet moments.


This month's UFO was the 2011 birthday group blocks.  I love these blocks!  Done all in greens - and flying geese!   These blocks once again showed me that everyone's quarter inch seam is different and that not everyone presses their blocks to death like I do.  After some major/minor wrestling, I managed to get this top together.  It is not quite twin sized - more like a good sized lap quilt.  It will get plenty of use this winter.



My second finish of the month was the block of the month from a local sewing store.  It has been quilted for over a month - but once again I procrastinated on the binding.  This month's quilt guild meeting prompted me to get moving and get it bound. 



This block is one of my favorites - I love the mannequin fabric!  The block was the 12th block in a year long series and I was impatient to be finished.  Working from known sizes in previous blocks and from a picture of the finished quilt, I figured out how to piece the block.  Not exactly how the pattern ended up telling me to do it - but I don't follow directions very well anyway!


This block is another favorite - because of the button fabric in the middle of the stars.


I took the time (and a lot of extra effort) to do three different designs in the three borders.  The outer border was was done in spirals; the next two borders were done in the in the same design, just adjusted to the width of the border.   The main body of the quilt was so busy anyway I just did a meandering loopy pattern.  


This is just some street urchin I pulled in off the streets to help me with the picture.  I am sure he was asking me to hurry up.   My black and white stash of fabrics is totally depleted!


This is a baby quilt for one of my cousin's first baby.  My mom pieced the top.  We are trying to make one quilt per cousin - but Mom has already broken that rule a couple of times. 


This second baby quilt is for new niece/nephew due to arrive in November.   I am so happy for my BIL and SIL.  I'm hoping this is generic enough for a boy or a girl.  What do you think? 

4 comments:

shannon said...

i really like the green goose chase quilt!!

thanks for sharing

Quilter Kathy said...

Such great quilts! Congrats on the finishes!

Dar said...

Your black and white is very striking. I think the baby quilts are generic enough for either sex. You have some nice finishes.

Lori said...

Love these quilts too! If I keep going thru your site, my bucket list will be at least 50 more wannabe quilts added :-)