Sunday, September 02, 2012

August was very productive!

I wasn't very hopeful about getting much done in August because of several planned trips and then the start of school - but I was wrong!  I began the month with an internal debate about whether I was even going to finish my August UFO.  It was a small applique tree project - very little time invested in it so far and very little fabric - mostly scraps.  Eventually I dragged it out and was surprised to finish top stitching all the leaves in only about half an hour.  Then I pinned it onto the long arm and did a tiny little meander in all the open space.  I also echo stitched around the leaves and the trunk to help hold the batting in place - and it made the back of the project much more exciting.  I ended up loving this little project - but I sent it off to live at my sister's house.  She couldn't believe I was willing to share it!


 


Since the first project was such a quick finish, I moved onto another UFO - my Christmas table runner.  I had started three of these table runners last year before Christmas - one for my mom, sister, and myself.  It came down to the end and I had to give up on mine and just get theirs done.  Again I was surprised at how little there was left to do.  The biggest problem came in putting on the outside borders.  The outside borders measure almost 60 inches and I didn;t have enough yardage to do it legnth-wise - so I had to piece them.  And I couldn't seem to measure correctly and kept coming up with a border that was too short!   Eventually I got it done!


I made a lot of progress on other projects as well.  I got my Swoon quilt top put together and quilted with free-hand baptist fans (thanks to Nina!!)  She cheered me on and told me I could do it!  I think she was just nervous that I would stick this huge quilt in a huge box and mail it her to quilt for me!  I love how the baptist fans turned out.  Now it is sitting on my sewing table, waiting for me to tackle the binding.

I also got my yellow spiderweb top put together.  My mom and I  have managed to get some quality sewing time this summer.  We set up our sewing machines on the dining room table and got busy!  I can't wait to get this top quilted and washed up and on the couch!

My September UFO is to use my Denyse Schmidt fabric.  Technically speaking - the Swoon quilt will count for this - but I also have another secret project in the works.   More on this after the recipient gets her present.   

Are you getting your UFO's completed?

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I love both of these projects!

Carol said...

Lucky sister! Both projects are so pretty - I love the border fabric in your Christmas runner.

Norece said...

The tree wall hanging is so fun. You did a great job making it. The border fabric you chose for your Christmas runner make is perfect. Thanks for sharing.