Monday, August 29, 2005

Returned from Nashville

Well, we survived our whirlwind trip to Nashville and made it home safe and sound. We left Friday afternoon around five and drove for about four hours. We stopped in Birmingham and had dinner at Joe's Crab Shack (Yes, I thought of you Nina!). The kids were excited because we spent the night at a hotel. We drove the rest of the way on Saturday. While me and my mom went to the quilt show, my poor husband had to watch the kids and help my dad move his woodworking shop to their new barn.

We got to the quilt at about 2:30 and they close at 5 pm. We decided this was perfect timing. The crowds had definitely thinned out and the vendors had marked their prices down! Several different vendors had fat quarters for $1 each. Some had bolts marked down 50%. We had plenty of time to look at the quilts and do some shopping. They hung the quilts up with two quilts in each little area sort of in a very wide "V". Does that make any sense? Anyway, my quilt was hanging right next to the first place winner in our category (My Favorite traditional pattern). At least it wasn't next to the grand prize winner, right? When I told a friend about it being right next to the blue ribbon winner, she said well at least you know a lot of people saw your quilt! Good point!

Our favorite part of the show was the antique quilt part. They had quilts dating back to about 1830. They were all amazing and much more my style than the artsy fartsy quilts! I appreciate the talent and time it takes to make the art quilts but I prefer the traditional quilts.

I managed not to buy too much fabric. I bought a few of the bargain FQ's and I found a FQ pack of coffee fabrics for my father-in-law's quilt. It occurred to me that if I am going to make him this quilt for Christmas, I'd better get going!

1 comment:

Finn said...

Hurray for coffee fabrics, being hung nest to the first place winner, and having such a gorgeous quilt in the show !!
Keep up the great work...three cheers for us traditional quilts people.