Thursday, December 22, 2005

Mimi's Frosted Cookies!

Today I decided to share with you one of my oldest Christmas related memories. My grandma, Mimi, made these cookies every year at Christmas time. They are a very simple cookie with pecans chopped up in them and powdered sugar frosting. She always made the frosting pink and a light green. I assume she was going for red and green for Christmas. We have had a variety of colored frosting over the years. One year my mom made my DH some orange and blue frosting (Go Gators!). Today, DD wanted purple frosting. Not so easy to do. We kept red and then adding blue but it kept staying this mauvey color. Oh well - she was happy!

Here's Mimi's recipe -

Mimi's Frosted Cookies

Combine:
1 cup margarine, softened
5 heaping tablespoons powdered sugar
1 tsp. water
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup finely chopped nuts

Chill 15 minutes. Roll into balls. Make thumbprints in each. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 - 15 minutes. Frost with powdered sugar frosting.

Frosting:
Melt 3 tablespoons margarine. Add 3 tablespoons of milk. Mix in powdered sugar until you reach a thick frosting consistency. Add food coloring if you like.

Here's to grandmothers and sweet Christmas time memories!

5 comments:

Leah Spencer said...

What a nice memory of your grandma! Sorry the purple didn't make it. :)

Finn said...

Thanks for sharing the memory and the recipe Sarah..*VBS* I agree, "here's to Grandmothers..bless them"..*S*

Deb R said...

Looks yummy!!

The Calico Cat said...

Clever! (I like how they can be individualized.) I thought they were chocolate tops. Thanks for the recipe.

Granny said...

Sarah: Now you've done it! I've held off making my favorite cookies but after seeing yours . . I can't stand it any longer. Off to make cookies . .

Judy L.