Saturday, July 15, 2006

A late evening snack


Tonight after getting the borders on the baby quilt, I decided I wanted to play with my lovely hand dyed fabrics. They have been calling to me for a couple of weeks now. While at my in-laws, we took the kids to the library, where we all got to check out a couple of books. One of the books I checked out was called "The Amish Quilt" by Eve Granick. It isn't really a pattern book, but rather a history of Amish quilt making. I love reading about history anyway, so this was fascinating.

I wanted to try and piece a small Amish inspired quilt. I was going for a diamond in a square kind of top - but of course my math was way off and the outside square was way too big. But I liked the look. What do you think? I think I am going to do two more blocks and make it into a wallhanging for above my sewing table.

One thing I have figured out is that fat-quarters are really too small to do anything of great size. Next time I dye fabric I am going to leave it in 1 yard cuts.


Time for bed!

2 comments:

quiltpixie said...

I think the larger square works well at highlighting the beautiful colours you made with the dye. It'll be a lovely hanging.

Elizabeth said...

I think it's beautiful!

And thank you for the package of goodies... what a nice surprise!

love, mom