Monday, May 21, 2007

Where has the past month gone?

Sorry - but this post will have to be picture-less - I can't find my camera at the the moment - let alone the cord to hook it up to my laptop!

This past month has been busy. I have hosted a double bridal shower, gone on a trip with DH to San Antonio, and been a sub lots of times at both kids' schools. Here in Auburn, it is the last week of school and everyone is a little bit hyper. Every night when I tuck Ian into bed, he gives me a count down on the days of school that are left. I'm just ready to be able to sleep in a little!

While in San Antonio, I took a cab to the closest quilt store. It is called Las Colchas - which is Spanish for The Quilts. It is located just north of downtown in a cute little cottage style house. I found some beautiful fabrics for one of the baby quilts I need to make this summer. The mama-to-be is doing the room in browns and blues. I will post a picture of the fabrics when I find my camera! The funniest part of the trip to the quilt store was the trip back to the hotel. The cab ride there cost $6. Trying to save myself another $6 (plus the fact that I would have had to phone the cab company to get a cab) - I decided I could take a public trolley back downtown. The store owner told me where I could catch the trolley (she was wrong!). I walked the 5 blocks to the BUS stop and waited there for 20 minutes - with no sign of a trolley or a bus. Finally, I gave up. I could see downtown from where I was. It started only a few blocks away - really! Being a girl that used to live in NYC, I decided I could hoof it. How far could it really be? It turned out to be several miles to our hotel. But I got a nice walking tour of San Antonio while I was roaming around. Plus all that extra exercise let me indulge in more chips and salsa at dinner!

This week I am feverishly trying to finish quilting two graduation quilts for a set of twins we go to church with. Their grandmother made the quilt tops and is hiring me to finish them for her. Craig's quilt is on the machine and is about one third quilted. Clint's quilt is waiting. Their grandmother is mathematically challenged. When I emailed her how to figure out how much the quilting would cost (cents per square inch) she emailed her daughter and said "It is either going to be twelve cents or nine thousand dollars!" Unfortunately, when I got the piles of stuff from her - the tops are both slightly bigger than the backings! UGH! I am also supposed to be binding them both for her. Graduation is on Thursday but I don't know if I will get them done by them. The boys have already seen the tops so it is no big deal.

I also have another quilt waiting to be quilted. I was in our local sewing center last week to buy fabric to make a baby quilt. The quilt owner's wife asked me if I would please take a quilt she had made for her daughter and quilt it. It has been sitting there for over a year, waiting for her husband to do it on a regular sewing machine. Now the daughter is getting married and wants the quilt done! So the quilt came home with me. At least I should have a lot of spending money when I go visit Nines in a few weeks. Yes, I am already planning on falling off the "No Buy" wagon!

Time to get busy! What have you been up to?


Rosy said...

You are such a nice gal to take on last minutes quilt finishings! The walk to town exercise should last you awhile!!

Judy said...

I was wondering where you were. Sounds like you're busy and having fun too. I know it will be so nice to get to sleep in when school's out. I remember those days!

atet said...

Oh my, sounds like you have been swamped! How nice of you to take those last minute projects. Remember to take a breather every now and then -- and when you go on your trip -- I say fall off the no buy wagon big time. You deserve it.