Sunday, January 09, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

One of my resolutions for 2011 is to blog more often - mostly because I want to keep a better record of the quilts I make. I would also like to use more of my stash - instead of just adding to it!

One of the unshared projects of the last few months is yet another baby quilt. Baby Turner was born right after Christmas! The baby shower snuck up me so I needed a pattern that was quick and easy. I love the look of the rail fence - three fabrics and an hour or so and you end up with such a cute top!


And because I don't have enough unfinished projects sitting around here, I decided to start a new project yesterday. This summer my mom and I worked on blocks for a spiderweb quilt following Bonnie Hunter's directions. I loved the pattern but wanted bigger blocks. After checking into how much a ream of 11x17 paper costs ($25) - I started looking for alternatives for the foundation pieces. Since my husband is an architect, he has a whole box of old plans sitting in his office, waiting to be recycled. They measured 24x36" - so I cut them down to 12 inch squares. My star blocks ended up being about 17 inches. The problem with this project is that although it uses scraps - it always seems like I end up with more scraps than I started with!


Right now we are waiting for an ice storm to arrive. They have already cancelled school for tomorrow. It is already icing and snowing north of us - but nothing here. I never expected to have to worry about an ice storm in south central Alabama! Stay warm and safe!



1 comment:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I lived through the big ice storm of 1998 in Montreal...I was housebound for 10 days! Stay warm and safe! ...You've got fabric and quilts...you'll be fine! :o)